Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Eagle Work in Progress


I have a nice groove on working on this eagle right now. It is 18x24 colored pencil on Ambersand Pastel board. I tried some mineral spirits on the background, never have done that before -- a little messier than I expected. Definitely could use some practice with that. It leaves more tooth to work over than using Neopastels I think. To get the feathers realistic yet interesting/expressive will be difficult for me I think. I am looking forward to working on it some more, but have to go to work the next two days. Here is a close up, it does not show the detail as well as I would like. There is alot more color in the eyes and the areas appearing black here than is coming through. Not sunny enough right now to get a good photo. Though it we have had some gloriously sunny, warmer days lately!

I am also hoping to work on some dog art for the Canine Art Guild's upcoming exhibit to celebrate five years in existence. The art work is to be five by five inches. Have not worked that small but have some ideas. It is due by 3/15 -- so need to work on that next.
See you all soon!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh he's lovely. I'm liking the background effect really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is looking absolutely fabulous so far Angela! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mona. I had fun doing it. Turned out better for me to use the mineral spirits with colored pencil than when I have tried either watercolor pencils or neopastels. I keep thinking of trying to change it to an American flag. Not very unique, but maybe makes the piece more interesting, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking the green. Patriotic is hot right now though. But I would think keeping it natural appeals to a slightly broader audience. But then I could just be thinking that because that is my preference. :)

    Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks alot Linda, I hope it keeps looking good when I get to the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks alot for your advice, Mona. I was thinking the patriotic would be more universal. I must be unconsciously affected by trends. I will leave it green. I will do another for the flag. I did think about it for this before I did the green, but thought it was too cliche. Now I just keep seeing it there -- but don't want to mess up what I already have there, especially if it is somewhat pleasing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin